The Blue Peter was launched in 1930, although the teak used in the construction of her hull was brought from Thailand in 1870.

She was designed by Alfred Mylne and built by W. King & Sons of Burnham-on-Crouch.

Her first owner Desmond Molins decided in 1938 that he wanted a bigger boat, but he loved The Blue Peter so much that he decided to have her lengthened by nearly 10 feet. She remains true to these plans to this day.

She was named The Blue Peter for luck, after the 'P' flag, which is used as the preparatory signal before starting a race.

It worked, The Blue Peter won over 50 races in and around the south coast of England over the next 20 years, sailing out of The Royal Corinthian Yacht Club in Burnham-on-Crouch.

The Blue Peter passed into Italian ownership after the war. She had three different Italian owners before her present owner, Mathew Barker, bought her in 1999.